Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My SAIS degree, put to good use

If you were to have told me a month ago I would be staying the weekend at a beach house full of Egyptian boys, I wouldn't have believed you. If you would have told me I, in short shorts and a tank top, went on a booze run with a shirtless Egyptian man, at 2am I would not have believed you.

THEN if you were to have told me we would all be chilling on the beach after having dragged a cooler out but without cups, and I came up with the idea of McGuyver-ing cups out of water and juice bottles cut in half, I definitely would not have believed you.

But it is true! I drank out of the top half of a 1.5 liter bottle of water, slightly resembling a wine glass that the boys dubbed my "chalice."  My GW and SAIS education was apparently put to good use this weekend. These institutions of higher learning definitely taught me how to think outside the box.
Pictured: McGuyver-ed cups.  That's how we roll:)

The last three weekends I was here (and really the only three weekends I've been in Egypt) I hung out with a great group of people in sahel, or Egypt's North Coast. With the water so blue and the people so chill, it was a breath of fresh air (literally--by the end of a workweek in Cairo, I can barely run inside because of all the pollution buildup in my lungs. I don't know what I'm going to do going forward when there is no place for me to escape the smog).

Now it's back to the grind. Work is crazy because we have a huge visiting US business and government delegation.

Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment